Hello my beautiful readers,
How are you all doing this fine day! For today I wanted to talk with you about Chia seed and all of it’s wonderful health benefits.
Chia seed is an amazing superfood that is both inexpensive and very simple to add into your daily diet. You can add them to your salads, cereal or oatmeal, yogurt, cakes, pancakes, drinks and so much more. Chia seeds are very versatile because they are flavorless. It doesn’t matter if your putting them in either a sweet or savory dish or drink they won’t change how it tastes only the texture.
Now whilst Chia seeds may be flavorless they are however packed with a bunch of amazing health benefits! Some I’ll list below..
Some of the wonderful health benefits of Chia seeds are….
- Packed full of antioxidants. They actually contain 3x more antioxidants then blueberries
- Helps you feel fuller, which is a huge help if you have trouble with over eating
- Keep your hair, skin and nails healthy and strong
- High in Potassium
- High in Calicum
- High in Iron
- High in Omega-3 fatty acids
- High in Magnesium
- Contain more niacin then corn, rice and soy
- Strengthens the immune system
- Boosts your energy levels
- Helps with weight loss
Now we’ve reached my favorite part of this post, THE RECIPES!!
It was pretty difficult choosing only two recipes to feature on this post, just search “chia seed recipes” on Google and you’ll see why, but since space was limited I ended up choosing two recipes I think will appeal to everyone since they are two classics: brownies and pancakes.
These two recipes I got of the sites All Day I Dream About Food and Two Peas And Their Pod. Maria, Josh and Carolyn are so creative and talented with the content they put out. Their recipes are always so eye catching and mouth watering, I could honestly spend hours going through their site.
On the top I’ve made their site names clickable so you can go straight to their sites if you want to check out more of the recipes they’ve shared and learn more about them.
Mocha Chocolate Chunk Chia Seed Brownies
This delicious brownie recipe is by Carolyn Ketchum from All Day I Dream About Food.
- ¾ cup Chia Seed Meal (about ½ cup whole seeds – I grind them in my coffee grinder)
- ¾ cup Swerve Sweetener or other Erythritol
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Butter
- 3 oz Unsweetened Chocolate
- 4 large Eggs
- ¼ cup strongly brewed Coffee
- 2 oz Dark Chocolate Chunks (70 to 90% cacao)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 9 square baking pan. Line with parchment paper, with some overhanging the sides for easy release. Grease parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chia seed meal, sweetener, baking soda and salt.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chocolate together, whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in eggs (mixture may seize), then whisk in coffee. Stir in chia seed mixture until well combined. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bake 15 to 16 minutes for a fudgier consistency or 18 to 20 for a cakier consistency.
- Remove and let cool completely in pan.
- Remove brownies from pan by grasping the overhanging parchment and lifting carefully. Cut into 16 squares.
Lemon Chia Seed Pancakes with Roasted Strawberries
These scrumptious pancakes are by Maria & Josh from Two Peas and Their Pod.
For the Roasted Strawberries:
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar in the raw
For the Lemon Chia Seed Pancakes:
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Land O Lakes® unsalted melted butter, cooled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar. Toss to combine. Pour strawberries on a greased baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Stir the strawberries and roast for an additional 7-10 minutes, until the strawberries are soft and juicy.
- While the strawberries are roasting, make the pancakes. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub together with your fingers until lemon is fragrant.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar/lemon mixture, baking powder, soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Do not over mix. Gently stir in the chia seeds.
- Heat a griddle or pan to medium low heat. Coat with cooking spray. Drop about a 1/4 cup of batter onto heated skillet. Cook until surface of pancakes have some bubbles and a few have burst, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip carefully with a spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more. Continue making pancakes until the batter is gone. Serve warm with Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil and roasted strawberries.
That is all for today’s post. I hope you liked it and it got you motivated to try experimenting with chia seeds! Let me know in the comments what you thought of this sort of blog post, whether you liked it or not and if you would enjoy me doing more posts talking about different types of healthy food.
As always I want to thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post. Your AMAZING, thank you! I hope you all have a wonderful week, I’ll talk to you all on Monday.
DON’T FORGET TO LIKE/COMMENT/FOLLOW